Wait a minute… is that right? You bet it is! The Aurora Public Library District is officially going FINE-FREE starting September 1st! The library will no longer charge late fines for items checked out from the library and will wipe all late fines from all existing accounts. Be advised the new fine-free policy does not include lost or damaged charges, which will still be applied to accounts when required. Please read the full policy below for further details. If you still have questions or would like to check the status of your account, please visit the library to speak to a librarian or call us at 812-926-0646.
All Aurora Public Library District-owned materials will no longer generate overdue fines. This includes DVDs, audiobooks, and Library of Things.
· Fees for lost materials
· Materials that are 4 months overdue from the original due date are declared “LOST” and the patron will be billed for the item.
· The patron is required to pay the replacement cost If a lost item is returned, the replacement cost and processing fee will be removed from the account.
· If a patron locates a lost item after paying for it, a refund will not be issued for the replacement cost.
· Fees for damaged materials
· Patrons will be charged for items that are returned damaged and declared unsuitable for the collection.
· The patron is required to pay the replacement cost and associated $4.00 processing fee(s) for the damaged item(s).
· Patron is responsible for charges for lost or damaged materials obtained through Interlibrary Loan from other public libraries for the amount charged to APLD.
· A fee of one dollar will be charged for a replacement library card after the first free replacement
· Patrons who accrued overdue fines with the Aurora Public Library District before we went fine-free are no longer required to pay those overdue fines.
· Patrons will no longer accrue a daily overdue fine on late materials. Patrons are still responsible for all borrowed library materials and are encouraged to return all items in a timely manner.
· Past replacement fees for lost or damaged materials, replacement library cards and collection agency fees still apply. Patrons will still be responsible to pay total replacement cost per Indiana State Board of Accounts.
· After an item is marked lost, patron will lose lending privileges until the item is returned or the lost material charges have been satisfied.
· Patron may replace a lost or missing item with one in “like new” condition with a similar binding as the one borrowed from APLD.
· Lost materials charges will not limit the patron’s ability to use APLD facility computers.
Approved by the Aurora Public Library District Board on July 24, 2023.