The Library District’s Programs
The Library District is pleased to offer programs throughout the year for all our patrons. From the youngest to oldest, everyone will find something.
Between the Lines: Adult Book Discussion
Between The Lines is the name for the Aurora Public Library District’s book discussion groups. BTL is a relaxed and friendly gathering of people who enjoy sharing comments, ideas and questions about a common book they have read. The group moderator engages the members in discussion while sharing background information about the author, story, time period and locale.
Beginning in May of 2021, the Library District has resumed in-person book discussions at the Aurora Public Library (4th Thursdays) and at the Dillsboro Public Library (4th Fridays). The meetings begin at 1 PM. There is also an evening group that meets at Carnegie Hall in Moores Hill at 7 pm. The Moores Hill group meets on the first Monday, unless that day is a holiday, then on the second Monday. You may register for any of these groups by calling 812-926-0646.
Since experience over the years has shown that the best discussions take place in smaller, more intimate groups – we limit active membership to 20. Realizing that not every member can attend every meeting, this creates an ideal discussion size.
Joining a book club may not change your life, but it will probably change the way you think about the books you read and the characters that inhabit them. Some of the books selected may not be what you would choose yourself to read, but that’s the beauty of a book club; it takes you outside your comfort zone introducing you to new authors and genres. You may even discover that your perspective on people and places in the world has been enhanced with new understanding. And you most certainly will meet new friends at the meeting.
To find out more about our book discussion groups, you can contact us at the following numbers:
812-926-0646 or 812-954-4151
2022 Aurora & Dillsboro Selections
- January – The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah
2021 Aurora & Dillsboro Selections
- January – The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger
- February – Educated by Tara Westover
- March – The Women of the Copper Country by Mary Doria Russell
- April – Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano
- May- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- June- Deacon King Kong by James McBride
- July- The Book Women of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
- August- All Adults Here by Emma Straub
- September– Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
- October – The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
2022 Moores Hill
- January- Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano
- February- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
- March- The Island of Sea Women by Lia See
- April- The World That We Knew by Alice Hoffman
- May– The Narrowboat Summer by Anne Youngson
- June – The Lost Man by Jane Harper
2021 Moores Hill
- June- The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth
- July- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
- August- Miss Benson’s Beetle by Rachel Joyce
- September- The Gifted School by Bruce W. Holsinger
- October- The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brain power?
The Aurora Public Library District’s 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate.
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year!
Sign up here and then stop by one of our library buildings to get a free book bag and a Reading Log.
Storytimes for Children
Storytimes – Aurora & Dillsboro Libraries
Storytimes will be offered for children ages 3-6 years old at the Aurora and Dillsboro Public Libraries, beginning in February through April.
Dillsboro will have one Storytime on Tuesdays at 10:30am; Aurora will have two Storytimes on Wednesdays at 10:30am & 1:00pm.
Storytimes last from 30-45 minutes and will include books, songs and a craft or other activity.